Chapter003: Uchiha Sasuke!!
Naruto wakes on his first day as an official ninja, grabs some breakfast, and heads to the school for genin orientation. There, he runs into Haruno Sakura, whom he's got a widdle crush on. But she only has eyes for Uchiha Sasuke, the top student in the class. After a little incident involving Naruto and Sasuke banging their lips together, Iruka explains that the new genin will be separated into three man teams, each under the supervision of a Jounin teacher. Naruto is placed in a team with Sakura and Sasuke. During the lunch break, Naruto jumps Sasuke
Sasuke, who is actually Naruto in disguise, finds Sakura and asks her what she thinks of Naruto. It's not flattering, to say the least. Sakura leans in to kiss 'Sasuke', but before she can, Naruto gets stomach cramps and has to run to the bathroom. By now, the real Sasuke has untied himself and runs into Sakura, who makes a mean comment about Naruto's lack of parental supervision. Sasuke gets angry and tells her she's annoying before walking away. Sakura realizes that this is how Naruto must have felt when she treated him badly, and resolves to be nicer in the future.
At Naruto's home, Kakashi and Sandaime are
- The three man + Jounin teacher team structure
- Team 7 = Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke
- Naruto learns not to drink milk after the expiration date (or does he?)
- Naruto learns from Sasuke that ninja can untie ropes >.<
- Sasuke's at the top of the class, Naruto's dead last
- Naruto has no one looking after him
- It's implied that Sasuke has no parents and is also all alone
- Love triangle central: Naruto wuvs Sakura, Sakura wuvs Sasuke, Naruto hates Sasuke, Sakura hates Naruto (Sasuke's kinda indifferent in all this, have you noticed?)
- Kakashi is to be the team's teacher
A little random trivia cause I couldn't resist ^_~:
In the official fan book, there is an 'interview' with Sasuke, during which he's asked what the kiss with Naruto tasted like. Sasuke replies “he tasted like miso... wait, why do I remember that?”
- Haruno Sakura, Naruto's classmate/crush (and Inner Sakura)
- Uchiha Sasuke, Naruto's classmate/rival
- Hatake Kakashi, Team 7's soon-to-be sensei
- Naruto defeats Sasuke, maybe an indication of his future strength and cleverness?
- Sandaime mentions that Kakashi is good with Naruto's “type”, but later on we discover that Kakashi has failed all of his previous students. What do you think Sandaime is referring to?
- Who do you think took care of Naruto when he was a child, particularly before he was able to feed and clothe himself? Where do you think the money comes from for Naruto's apartment and food? Of course, this just begs the question of whether or not Yondaime is Naruto's father, so I'll just toss that out there too.
Aww, see, they were meant to be rivals from the beginning. In that 'rival' is another word for 'lover' in Japanese. =P
Iruka is so relieved to be rid of those kids...
...and Kakashi is so screwed.
Chapter 004: Hatake Kakashi!!
Note: Sakura gets jipped in getting a chapter named after her. Poor kid.
Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura are still waiting to meet their Jounin teacher well after everyone has left. Eventually, Kakashi shows looking kind of stoned, falling into an elementary trap that Naruto has set for him. They go outside and everybody introduces themselves and their likes, dislikes, and dreams. Naruto and Sakura's introductions are nothing unexpected, but Sasuke mentions that there is a man he has to kill. Kakashi announces their first mission will be survival training with him the next day. Then he drops the bombshell that only a third of the students who graduated will go on to become genin.
The next day, Kakashi shows them two bells, which they have to get from him by noon, or they get no lunch – after having skipped breakfast on his orders the day before. The person who doesn't get a bell will fail. He insults Naruto, who's been insulting him, and Naruto flips and goes after him with a kunai. Kakashi is impressed that he's at least taking them seriously, and says he's beginning to like them. Then he starts the test.
- Kakashi's name (and not much else)
- Sasuke's “ambition”
- Kakashi is always late and a sneak peek of his actual skills as a ninja
- Kakashi's a bit of a sadist
- Naruto sucks at reading kanji (Japanese characters)
- Naruto's a hothead
None for this chapter
- The chapter cover pairs each of Team 7 with their future senseis' summons
- The bell test: a bit of backshadowing(?) really, we find out later that the test is passed down from Sandaime, who used it on his team
- Itachi's the big one here, of course, as Sasuke's drive to kill him is the catalyst for much of what he does in the future
- Kakashi's probably one of the most compliated characters in the series. What were your impressions of him when you first met him?
- For that matter, what did you think of Sakura and Sasuke? And how much have your opinions of them changed since?
Is it just me, or does that Kakashi doll look suspiciously like Pakkun?
*sniff* Our widdle ninjas, all grown up and
Urg. I crave ramen. Again.
Current Mood: crazy